Friday, July 6, 2007

Mysteries and Mysteries

I used to really love a good mystery book or movie. And just to hear or see the word itself grabs my attention. But no matter how good or cleverly done, I always feel a sort of let-down when it's over. Because it's over. Mystery solved. But even worse than that are the mysteries of darkness. I recently watched a documentary about a family who bought a very old estate. They moved into a livable part of the house and began to renovate. The husband was planning to run his business out of the home. They had two children. Well, it wasn't long before strange things began to happen.

The husband became quiet and preoccupied, accomplishing nothing. It reminded me in a mild way of Jack N's character's novel writing in 'The Shining'. The children became nervous and anxious. The wife, her dad and brother became more enamored. What had happened in this house? What were the spirits trying to tell them? The dad even had dreams/visions showing him a secret hiding place underneath a stairwell in an undiscovered room...

Well, after a wrecked marriage, numerous health problems, sleepless nights, tormented thoughts, years of wasted time and money and lives, they finally discover an empty metal box.

The mysteries of the devil are always enticing and promising but deliver, at best, ...emptiness; at worst,..destruction; of family, marriage, health, even life. ("Doesn't this fruit look really good?! Just take a little bite. It will give you secret powers...")

But the mysteries of God are often plainly stated and yet beautifully, still retain their mystery: "For God so loved the world..." WOW! That one still has me stumped...and there's so many more. "We have the mind of Christ..." "...I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. " Mysteries!

No comments: